Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog 14: Independent Component

A) I, Christian Demesa, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.

B) Sources are my mentor ,Jonathan, head of the pharmacy department in the VA clinic, Debora, and pharmacists, Dr. Heller and Dr. Glen.

C) Completed.

D) I mostly did menial labor by organizing and putting drugs on their appropriate shelves. At times I was able to get observations of the pharmacists in the clinic, on the first floor, interacting with patients waiting to receive their medication. The rest of my Independent Component was spent asking Jonathan some questions about how the pharmacy is run, sitting in with Dr. Keller and observing how patients were given consultations, and within the medical delivery room organizing even more medications, creams, and ointments.

This component helped me understand my topic and my EQ: "How can a clinical pharmacist best provide quality patient consultations?" because I was able too see two different kinds of pharmacist-patient interactions. There was the front desk, which is what you would typically see in retail pharmacy, and patients who made appointments or were "walk-ins" which is clinical pharmacy. Jonathan and Debora were also able to give me a lot of information on how the clinic was run, and Dr. Keller gave me some insight on how she herself deals with patients.



No comments: